The OpenFin Runtime Version Manager (RVM) is a lightweight background process that runs alongside the OpenFin Runtime to manage updates, lifecycle, and security for all OpenFin applications on a given desktop.
The RVM is evergreen, which means it always remains functional throughout any instance of an update to itself or to the Runtime. Before the release of a new RVM version, OpenFin conducts beta and full end-to-end integration testing. These tests are completed to ensure compatibility between the RVM and multiple Runtime versions, including older Runtime versions. The RVM also has a built-in rollback feature in the event of app incompatibility after a new version rollout.
The RVM’s is responsible for the following primary functions and features:
- Application / Runtime Installation & OpenFin Installers
- Application Startup, including passing application manifest configurations to Runtime
- License Tracking
- App Logging and Encryption
- Deep Linking
- Desktop Owner Settings
- Multi Runtime environments
- App Assets & Services
- OS level features such as auto-launch on startup, branded shortcuts, splash screens, and download progress bar
Updated over 1 year ago